Friday, April 18, 2008

Book Club

As nerdy as these sounds, I have always wanted to start a book club. I was talking to my friends about it and I think that a biweekly book meeting would be really fun. I think two weeks is usually enough time for people to have time to read a book. However, when I feel like I am forced to read a book I am really unmotivated to read it. I blame this on high school required reading. In my junior year, I was forced to read about the delightful puritans in The Scarlet Letter. Without a doubt when someone ask me what is the worst book you ever read, that one come to mind first. It is not that I do not like classics, I like Charles Dickinson. I just was completely bored with it; I hated the way the writing structure was dragging and everything about it. Because I was forced to read that book (because if I didn’t I would of failed the test) I am so unmotivated to read anything assigned. I might try the book club anyway though.

Note from Ashli’s roommate on the subject.*
The Scarlet Letter is the most dry and dull piece of fiction ever written next only in comparison to that damned and insufferable Tale of Two Cities.
Curse and burn these books. Now everyone go read some Kurt Vonnegut and Jack Kerouac and enlighten yourself beyond the standardized structure of your conformist high school education.

No comments: