Friday, April 18, 2008

I am with you in Rockland

One of my favorite poems is Howl by Allen Ginsburg. I like this poem so much that I keep it in this nook under my dashboard in my car. I was introduced to Allen Ginsburg’s poetry by my friend Michael, the one that I have blogged about before. He recently has been keeping a copy of Howl in is car. The book I have is a collection of poems including Howl. My favorite line from Howl is: “I'm with you in Rockland where we are great writers on the same dreadful typewriter.” It just has always been a line that pops out at me every time I read it. I think it is because that great writers are a slave to the work they do, the same goes for great painters, musicians, or athletes. They love what they do but at the same time they dread it. This line could go for anything, it could go for we are the great football players playing with the same dreadful football. I know that sounds corny, but that the conclusion I have come to after analyzing this song. Another line that I really like is: “ I'm with you in Rockland where we hug and kiss the United States under our bed sheets the United States that coughs all night and won't let us sleep.”

No comments: