Friday, April 4, 2008

In Remembrance there is Life

Last night at The Grand Central Station, which use to be train station but now holds events; I worked at an event called In Remembrance there is Life: A Night of Storytelling. This was a tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.; he was shot 40 years ago as of yesterday. Many speakers spoke like Jesse Jackson, Dorothy Cotton, Billy Kyles, and many more. I was working there rolling cables for my half-internship kind of deal for WKNO. So, I did not have to do anything during the presentations and so I listened to the speakers. Like most people, I have heard a lot about Mr. King, and I sometimes think I know more about him than I need to know. However, tonight this ceremony really changed my outlook on Martin Luther King. The presentation was divided into four segments: The Early Days, The Turbulent Times, The Final Days, and Legacy. The ceremony was opened in prayer and unity, the audience stood around the tables that they sat in and joined hands. The Early Days open with a slide of pictures of Martin Luther King, some slides of marches, and protest. The speakers for The Early Days were Dorothy Cotton, Wyatt “Tee” Walker, and C.T.

2 comments:

Asnanti said...

That sounds like a very interesting event. I wish that I could have been in attendance. I love when I can be a part of events like those. I hope that you don't take for granted the fact that you were involved in a part of history. Not everyone can say that.

Kelvin Oliver said...

I was in the march they had this afternoon and got to hear his children speak. Very amazing. History in the making.